Saturday, September 20, 2008

Further Gender Musings

Thanks and Greetings to all the wonderful bloggers who commented on my last post, and special thanks to Maymay for putting it out to the world. I was feelin' kinda lonely for a few days there...

Anyhow. Calico commented that androgyny, while pretty, is terribly hip just now.
Honestly, though, I think the world has always gotten off on androgyny. From the Greeks, whose tragic heroines were always played by men, and the stated "man-womanish"ness of Dionysus, the god in whose honor such dramas were written, to the constant gender-misidentification of Shakespeare's comedies, to the constantly recurring story of the woman who went to war dressed as a man, to save her people, or her family, or her life.
Of course, recently androgyny has taken a turn for the Calvin Klein, short-haired-waiffish-genderless-model side of things. And even more recently, there has been this horrible movement in which skinny boys wear skinny-legged, saggy-bottomed girl's pants, but that I think is more an affront to aesthetics than to the gender binary.
What I'm trying to say is that as long as there has been a strict definition between what falls in the space of Masculinity and what in that of Femininity, people have looked with longing and wonder at what might fall between.

Or have they been looking at what might happen if the spaces were combined?

Boy has commented to me, several times, that he is interested in finding and wearing a pair of high-heeled shoes. I asked him whether he wanted to dress as a girl in general, and he said no... just the shoes. Well, huh. His legs would look about two miles long, and his ass, always lovely, would be positively magnificent ... and he would tower over me. He would be so beautiful, but because of the added hight, he would have the potential to be so much more powerful.

That, I think, is where it's at. There is vast power in the space between genders and the combination of them. Giving strength back to femininity, grace to masculinity, would bring the same power to his dominance as it does to my submission.

For me I think perhaps it is because I can't live there. I am a girl. Boy is, of course, a boy. Life would be less pleasant and less complete if we tried to pretend that that is all there is to it, but it would be impossible to set the all-the-time, every-day part of life to that magical middle space, that powerful combination. I can't be all the things I am, all the time, and there is so much intensity in the ones that, for a hundred reasons, it is more difficult to be.

In the meantime, does anybody have access to a pair of size 11 or 12 heals? Nothing to girly, obviously... a nice pair of chunky- healed black boots would be perfect. There's a Boy who needs to be a bit more girl, here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

these musings remind me of how i came to me senior essay topic. did i tell you about this one?: blah blah blah multiracial blah blah memoir blah blah blah american studies is the gist. my thought process had been that in order to examine the inner workings of race in the US, i should focus on folks who fall outside the rigid categories which are so key to race in america. you get insight by looking to the outlying spaces, the in-betweens, the stuff that doesn't fit in the system properly. i like it.

also: as if motherfucker needed to be any taller.

-the irishman

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home